TC> The reason that this was done this way was for the common
TC> case of someone forgetting to chop an incoming line and
TC> then splitting on whitespace.

TC>     while (<>) {
TC>     @F = split;
TC>     }

Interesting. I thought it was to make it more natural.

When splitting on whitespace, one is interested in the non-space tokens.
Effectively the leading and trailing whitespace isn't there.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183