On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 12:28:55PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 05:21 PM 10/25/00 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> >"fixup sections" sound horribly like something I've read in association
> >with a.out or ELF shared libraries. (I forget which)
>
> Both, though they may call it something else. As far as I know, *everyone*
> who does shared libraries has some sort of runtime fixup that needs to be
> done. I don't think you can get away from it.

If I understand it correctly the intent (at least on unix and the like)
is to minimise and localise the bits that need fixing per shared file,
so that the maximum amount of file can be mmap()ed in as read only
(makes life simple for virtual memory systems) which also maximises the
amount of physical RAM that's common to multiple processes.

(which is what we'd love - every perl program use()ing POSIX or CGI to
share the op tree for that module with every other perl program on that
machine). It just feels like we might be re-inventing the OS to achieve
this.

Nicholas Clark