IMHO, the first thing we need to design and code is the API and runtime
library, since everything else builds on top of that, and we can design other
stuff in parallel with coding it. (A lot of it will be grunt work.)

So, before we start even thinking about what we need, it's time to look at the
vexed question of string representation. How do we do Unicode without getting
into the horrendous non-Latin1 cockups we're seeing on p5p right now? Larry
suggested aeons ago that everything is an array of numbers, and Perl shouldn't
care what those numbers represent. But at some point, it has to, and that
means things have to be tagged with their character repetoires and encodings.
(I'm learning) Does anyone have any sensible suggestions for dealing with this?
(NI-S, this means you. :)

--
"Even had to open up the case and gaze upon the hallowed peace that
graced the helpdesk that day." -- Megahal (trained on asr), 1998-11-06