  NC> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:38:45PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:

  >> It actually matters more for dynamic data structures, as compilers
  >> tend to queitly align things well for you. It's tough to get stack
  >> variables unaligned, but it's pretty easy to get dynamically
  >> allocated ones all messy.

  NC> At which point your code is (if I understand what we're talking
  NC> about) not ANSI conformant. But probably the only platform it's
  NC> actually going to break on is arm, where unaligned integer reads
  NC> (hence also structs) rotate in interesting and messy ways, and
  NC> don't do what you expect.

  NC> Hmm. Rather a long rambling statement. But IIRC arm Debian ends up
  NC> finding problems that nothing else has exposed. So don't write
  NC> these problems into perl6.

i think all that dan wants (and i agree) is that memory is allocated on
a major (64/32 bit) boundary. then the malloced buffers will be aligned
for any data inside them. malloc normally doesn't care about
alignment. this will be an easy task since we are doing our own memory
management. the fixed sized allocation stuff like PMC's will all be
aligned as well but be much faster than the general purpose malloc.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture and Stem Development ------ http://www.stemsystems.com