(I really need to pick up a printed copy of the 3.1 standard and set aside
a day and a bottle of aspirin, but until then...)

Should perl's regexes and other character comparison bits have an option to
consider different characters for the same thing as identical beasts? I'm
thinking in particular of the Katakana/Hiragana bits of japanese, but other
languages may have the same concepts.