On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:41:28PM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> * Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [06/14/2001 15:16]:
> >
> > OK, I've been teasing people about this for weeks, and it's time to stop.
> > This is the current state of the Perl 6 emulator; it applies most things
> > that Damian talked about in his keynote yesterday, and most of the things
> > I've picked up in perl6-language. It does:
> >
> >     $a ~ $b                 for concat
> >     ^ $a                    for negation
>
> I just want to briefly register a formal complaint that I do not like
> this, and I suspect I'm not the only one. I just think many have stopped
> trying to fight it out of exhaustion.

I agree too, for many of the same reasons.

And I am sure that Larry knows many share your thoughts.

We can have a huge thread, just like before, but until we see any kind
of update from Larry as to if he has changed his mind it is all a bit
pointless.

> I don't like ~ for binary concat. For one thing, it means that the
> equivalent of .= is now:
>
>    $a ~= $b
>
> Does anyone else see a problem with =~ ? Plus, it makes the
> pre-plus-concat that many desire impossible, since =~ is taken.

Yes, I am sure that will lead to a lot of confusion. You will always have
to look twice when reading someones code.

> Second, even if ~ *is* used for concat, then I *still* don't think that
> ~ should be changed from unary negation. There's no reason for it. Every
> other major modern language I can think of uses ~ for unary negation. An
> operator can change its meaning based on context, just consider <<.

<< ? I would have thought - would be a better example

Graham.