On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> No, he's right. Not dirtying cache lines is pretty much always faster than
> dirtying them, and not twiddling with memory's faster than twiddling. And
> unfortunately we can't really do fully platform-dependent code, since it'll
> be the actual bytecode that'll ned to be different.

Ok, I'll go back to lurking - I definitely don't have the education to try
to argue the point.  I've got some half-formed idea about a stack-based
opcode set that compiles down to register references at runtime, but I'm
definitely a few books short of articulate on this subject.

Choose wisely then - if we want this thing to run well on the Palm and on
the Athlon we'll have to!

> We're actually doing the appropriate amount of optimization here. When
> dealing with low-level constructs it's appropriate to consider low-level
> effects and algorithms that handle low-level machinery.

Lo tho we walk through the valley of the shadow of the JVM...  Is anyone
else nervous that we seem to be trying to replace GCC here?  Is register
allocation really something the Perl community has expertise in?

-sam