Actually there were some tests done, can't recall where now, though by a
trusted source. I will be digging it up in my email and emailing it to the
list.  There were a few languages tested including Perl, C, C++, Java (can't
remember if Python was there).  Perl came in in second place after C.  Yes,
that's faster than C++.  Again, I totally understand that a lot of it is
dependent on what's being tested, which I couldn't recall at this time
either, though I believe to recall that it was some general stuff.

Ilya