--- Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 02:17:40AM +0300, Jarkko
> Hietaniemi wrote:
> > unaligned access
>
> Bother. It is as I feared.
>
> Dan, we need to do something about this. The choices are:
> put floats into the
> constant section, or ensure instructions are assigned on
> an appropriate
> boundary. I can see pros and cons of both.

What I ended up doing in my work on the perl5 B::Bytecode
stuff was actually storing floats as their string
representation and restoring them back into native floats
at load time. Yes, it's slow and hackish, but strings are
the only *portable* format for floating-point numbers, and
they have the added benefit of degrading gracefully when
bytecode from a machine with more bits of precision is
loaded on a machine with fewer.

-- BKS