Andrew J Bromage sent the following bits through the ether:

> What do you all think?  Leon mentioned control flow graphs a few days
> ago, but I think that live value information is more generally useful
> to optimising interpreters and JIT compilers.

I guess it depends what level you want to be able to do this at. My
CFG stuff is intended to eventually move on to liveliness so as to
optimise badly-generated bycode (from naive compilers, or lazy
humans). I'm relearning all this as I haven't used it much since uni,
but it's possible to gather all this information from the
bytecode. I'd prefer to have code which does real liveliness
calculations and can do real optimisations before we start talking
about adding more opcodes ;-)

Leon
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
Nanoware...............................http://www.nanoware.org/

... C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit