On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:16:10AM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> > I'm afraid I'll have very little time this week to track this down myself.
>
> It's OK; I've found myself a SPARC machine and I'm looking into it.

Thank you.

Some perspective for others on the list (Simon already knows all this and
much more, and has made great strides):

Internally, there's still signficiant confusion about integral types.  In
particular, on a machine where 32-bits is the 'natural' size for an
integer, it is perfectly reasonable to still want to use 64-bit IVs to do
your work.  On such a system, you may or may not decide to use 32-bit
opcodes.  Thus IV and opcode_t need to be separate types.  We shouldn't
assume sizeof(IV) and sizeof(opcode_t) are the same.

Toruture-testing now with various variations is a good way to uncover
various erroneous assumptions before they get too deeply engrained.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics