[EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> You quoted something similar to my text above and said you didn't
> like it.  I
> believe mostly because it involved reading external files, but
> also because of
> the concept of the message-id.

Actually, the thing that I didn't like was using an actual string as the
message_id. I would have expected something more in the way of:

char *err = get_text_string( THREAD_EXCEPTION_117, \
                              "THREAD EXCEPTION: Not enough handles." );

where "THREAD_EXCEPTION_117" is defined as:

#define THREAD_EXCEPTION_117     117

and the actual catalog values are defined as an array ("strings[117]"),
either build-time or run-time, from a language file (such as
"./strings/lang.en"). The second string is a 'fallback' string that is
displayed if the value doesn't exist or exists as NULL (and to aid
readability). It just felt weird to me to use the actual string for the
message id.

> I realize that you were merely inciting that we should be able to develop
> something, I was just commenting on performance.

I'm not sure where performance is affected with either scenario, as both
systems could be made to work in a similar manner behind the scene.

Grant M.