Sam --

> Why is "make test" so durn slow?  Our tools run individually seem pretty
> snappy on my low-end box (P200/64MB) but running "make test"  is like
> watching paint dry.  I'm seeing something like 1 test per second!

I think its because each test involves:

  1. Write out a .pasm file
  2. Run assemble.pl on it to produce a .pbc file
  3. Run test_prog on it to produce output

I want to libify everything to the point where Perl wrappers around
the libs allow you to pass the .pasm stuff as a string and get back
a packfile that you can pass on to the interpreter, without firing
off separate processes and writing files.

Then, all this can happen inside a single process. That should make
for some decent savings. I don't know if there's another reason for
the speed problem (Most of the tests are pretty trivial code), but
this would be nice to have anyway.

Regards,

-- Gregor
/     perl -e 'srand(-2091643526); print chr rand 90 for (0..4)'      \

   Gregor N. Purdy                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax