Brian --

> > None of these are issues with the approach I've been working on /
> > advocating. I'm hoping we can avoid these altogether.
> >

> I think this is a cool concept, but it seems like a lot of overhead with
> the string lookups.

I'm hoping we can keep the string lookups in order to sidestep the
versioning issue. They can be made pretty cheap with a hashtable or search
tree, and the lookups only happen once when we load. And, we may even be
able to create the tree or hash table structure as part of the oplib.so,
so we don't even have to pay to construct it at run time. I guess I'm
making the provisional assumption that by the type we go out and
dynamically load the oplib, a few op lookups by name won't be too big a
deal if we are smart about it. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'd like
to see it in action before passing judgement on it.

[snip stuff about versioning]

> Thoughts?  Or am I too tired to be sending email? :)

I think its a fine suggestion. I'm just hoping we don't end up having to
go there. I like the simplicity of doing things by name. We don't have to
care what else happens to an oplib as long as the ops we cared about are
still there.

Regards,

-- Gregor