You might want to take a closer look at Cons. I think it does a lot of
what you probably need, and is certainly quite adaptable (it is, after
all, written in Perl). The nicest thing, in my opinion, about Cons, is
that the user level script files (roughly equivalent to makefiles) are
written directly in Perl (Perl 5, of course). The second nicest thing
is that builds always get built correctly. Period.

I wrote an article on this a while back for The Perl Journal. While a
little dated, I think it gives you the basic ideas in a fairly painless
manner. It's been recently made available on line by the good folks at
TPJ at:

  http://www.ifi.uio.no/in228/scripting/doc/perl/cons/cons-tpj.html

which reference has not yet made it into the official Cons website at:

  http://www.dsmit.com/cons

I wrote the original Cons, but I am not an active maintainer. I'll be
happy to answer any questions about it--I just can't tell you what the
current development plans are.

I _can_ tell you that a lot of work has gone into making Cons an
extremely robust software construction tool. It was actually very
robust out-of-the-gate, and I'm happy to say that the present
maintainers have done a really exceptional job of adding functionality
while maintaining a high level of quality in each release.

Cons is not just a "make-over" of Make. It provides truly new
functionality. I invite you to take a look.

Bob Sidebotham