--- Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 08:03 PM 12/18/2001 -0800, Benjamin Stuhl wrote:
> >--- Melvin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > 3) Perl IO has conditional compilation for using
> stdio.
> > > Dan has said no
> > > STDIO
> > >      but are we going to abandon conditional support
> for
> > > Parrot?
> > >      (I vote for ditching conditional STDIO support
> > > because then its easier
> > >           to stop thinking in STDIO terms...)
> >
> >Unfortunately, I don't think we can completely do
> without
> >stdio in parrot for one reason: miniparrot. Without
> doing a
> >full configure.pl run, the _only_ I/O API we're
> guarranteed
> >is a basic stdio.
>
> Ah, but we can abandon stdio completely, unless you file
> read/write in with
> stdio. Which is reasonable, but I don't generally count
> them.

I was going to argue that unix-ish
open()/read()/write()/close() aren't portable, but even
Win32's runtime provides an emulation of that much (as does
VMS's). Are there any platforms that don't provide this
API? (I argued for stdio because it's in the ANSI spec, and
so _must_ be there, as opposed to us simply assuming it'll
be there.)

> > > I want comments now or else I threaten to post
> replies to
> > > myself in a
> > > creepy third
> > > person way.
> >
> >No! Anything but that. BKS hates things like that!
>
> Suckered into those freshmen "harmless Psych 101
> experiments", I see.... :)

Way too many friends in Prof. Moss's cult^Hclass... ;-)

-- BKS