#### [Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:10:43PM +0200: Shlomi Fish]
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Brent Dax wrote:
>
> > *After* you've answered those three questions, proceed to ask why we're
> > doing it ourselves instead.
> >

> Fine, let me ask this: why we're doing it ourselves instead of using gmp?

>From the gmp documentation:

  "Note that the mpf functions are not intended as a smooth extension
  to IEEE P754 arithmetic.  In particular results obtained on one
  computer often differ from the results on a computer with a
  different word size."

And previous discussion decided that a decimal arithmetic was more
useful for the big number library than any other form.

Alex Gough
--
Dear Mary,
  I yearn for you tragically.