On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:21:10AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
| I'm not sure that the place to enforce read-onlyness is at the
| string/buffer level. Doing it at the PMC level is more likely the
| right place to do it.

Therefore, "read-onlyness" would be a property of any ole
object and not just strings?   If so, I think this is a
great direction; as long as it is a mechanism shared by
each language binding.  For YAML serializations, it would
insist that each mapping key is "read-only".  Perfect.

This brings up another topic.  Will parrot have reflection
or must this be done at the application level?  It would be
very nice to have reflection down in the parrot guts so that
we can write serialization tools that operate while being
oblivious to the current language (or perhaps this is a bit
too much... just musing here).

Cheers,

Clark

Yo! Check out YAML -- http://yaml.org
Serialization for the Masses

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525