Nicholas Clark wrote:

>An IRC channel is good for discussions. But it doesn't archive them,
>index them, collate them and provide them as reference for any new
>would be recruits. I'm not saying that anyone has to write the docs, or
>even the skeleton of the docs for their code - everyone and anyone can just
>keep writing code if they so feel. But if they do just write code without
>any form of overview documentation, then they're still going to be writing
>code for a long time to come, because they won't recruit many helpers.
>
>Nicholas Clark

Yes, - and here seems like a good opportunity :-)

=Q

can we could invent a super-lightweight markup language
that #parrot-eers would type into the stream to put meta-info into it ?

,

If we could devise a sufficiently easy markup scheme, then it becomes
possible/worthwhile to automate a irc-channel semantic-packetizer
which just parses on the markup.

..

=ex

Im trying one on for size right now.  started by a pod-esq symbol,
and either ended by a bare period, or continued by a bare comma;
the =q above does both.  (how about =? , nope =q easier tottype

..

=ex.refined.  Of course, above could get a bit clumzy, all that whitespace.
so we can use paragraph chunking, with ^=(\w+)(?:\.\s*)?  to find the
now-embedded
pod.

=Q

Anyone know of a formalizm that labels the conversational elements of a
dialog ?

something a little deeper than question, answer.

a decent punt is to rate chunks on one or more scales.
newbieness = 1-10
repeated-q    = 1-10

we could have

=q. nb=5,rq=8

as a kind of geek code that refers to stuff just upstream, giving it a
kind of rating.

it suggests a voting scheme that could devolve (quite) a bit, turning
#parrot into an
unpleasant psychological experience, but Im sure your friendly
#parroteers wont do that.
(and the channel server could filter the =markup)

its worth pointing out that rq (repeated-question) has some value, esp
if it can be
 found and linked. rq=10.yesterday-10am-est

=ex

consider how you would might grade an essay - on its elements.
spelling=3,
gramatics=9
flow=0
intro=
elaboration=
example=
inference=
conclusion=

=q.  wonder whats on CPAN ?  :-)

Net::IRC::Daemon ??  podlators ?? Pod::

=cutpaste    extraneous example, presumably would demonstrate bug in
context..

[jimc@harpo jimc]$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i686-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

[jimc@harpo jimc]$