On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:03:00AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> 4) The *only* tools you will need to build parrot are a C compiler
> environment and either a make tool or a shell

I believe we may be able to get away without a make tool or a shell.

It won't be pretty, but I see no reason why we can't automatically
generate the default order of building things from source code scratch into
a C program, which manually ask the user

1: build this C program from this single self contained C source file
2: run it, with the current directory being the parrot source directory

and it bootstraps the rest.

No use to anyone developing the parrot source code and wanting dependency
checking, but that's not the intent of this. It's to get a parrot bytecode
interpreter up to the point that it can run a make-like system supplied as
parrot bytecode. Doesn't matter if it then needs to rebuild most things.

(Everything else in Dan's message, which I read quickly, I agree with, at
least in overview)

Nicholas Clark