Has anyone tried kcachegrind to speed profile parrot? Based on what the web
page http://www.weidendorfers.de/kcachegrind/ says:

    The trace includes the number of instruction/data memory accesses and
    1st/2nd level cache misses, and relates it to source lines and functions
    of the run program (a disadvantage is the slowdown involved the the
    processor emulation, it's unfortunately around 50 times slower). A patch
    for valgrind sources (see below) adds call tree tracing, i.e. how the
    functions call each other and how many events happen while running a
    function (including all called functions).

this could be very useful for figuring out where parrot is slow.

I've used the basic cachegrind interface to valgrind at work to figure out
where I was doing things wrong w.r.t. memory, but kcachegrind is currently
somewhat tricky for me, as no desktop machine I've got at home is running
Linux on x86.

Nicholas Clark