On 10 Sep 2002, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> So, I'm almost done and ready to cut the Builtins patch, but the
> following problem has come up:
>
> I get no warnings or errors while it reads and parses the Builtins, but
> then Tree.pm throws a number of uninitialized value warnings and then
> Context.pm throws an error about not being able to find "ctx_right" via
> "P6C::class_def".

I'm assuming you don't have any class definitions (or declarations) in any
of your builtins.  If you do, then this is something like expected
behavior, since classes aren't at all implemented.

> My brief examination of those modules shows me that this might be
> related to the parser having generated an invalid tree, but that's a
> guess based on late-game data.

This seems more likely -- that it's mis-parsing something as a class def
(though how it does that is beyond me).  If you suspect a parsing bug,
it's best to fire up the parser in interactive mode with

    perl prd-perl6.pl [--help]

which will spit out parse trees before doing the context stuff.

> Have I done something obviously dumb? If anyone wants the modified
> "perl6" and/or Builtin modules that I've written in order to help debug
> this, just let me know, and I'll fire you a tarball.

Bring it on.

/s