Steve Fink wrote:

I suppose I ought to try to wrap up a release one of these days.

  - Artificial goal: I want the list of pending patches to be smaller
    than one screenfull before I release. Fortunately, I have a large
    screen.

I did set 2 of them to "Applied". I'll wade through my contributions and set status accordingly.

Possible (feature/architectural) goals for 0.0.9
* PMC cleanup
  - Leo did a huge amount of work on this, but there are a few things left:
  - array.pmc still autocreates something called "PerlUndef"

This is the way it worked earlier too. The problem is (and was) that extending an array just makes room for new PMCs. Allocating all PMCs during extension is not an option (IMHO) this would render sparse arrays to an noop and would be expensive, if these PMCs remain unused. Now, setting the value of an array cell is done by a vtable method like set_integer_native, which requires an PMC to be there, which happens to be a PerlUndef, changing its vtable immediately to the desired type.

  - the various unions should probably be coalesced into one

I'll send a patch tomorrow or so, regarding hash/array data types, unifying the enum_type values.

  - I think the variable/value distinction Dan was talking about may
    require some changes, but I haven't been paying attention to that
    discussion (as in, I read it, but not closely enough to understand
    what anybody's talking about yet)

I was talking about it, but for a patch, my understanding seems to resemble yours ;-)

* Keyed access
  - Either way, the current keyed support isn't complete.

Adding a couple of lines to assemble.pl, which do the same as my patch WRT imcc would make these multi_keyed operations available to HL. Then we could look at usage patterns and finally decide, what to do.
(Who could extend the assembler?)

* Bytecode format

  - I still don't understand why we can't write our own
    serializers/deserializers for ELF or some other standard format,

I don't see the point, why to use ELF. The new proposed packfile format should give us all we need.

leo