On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:13:09AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> I moved the two - almost identical - <index> op bodys out of core.ops
> and called this functions string_str_index...
>
> .... and did introduce a new warning WRT const.
>
> - const is currently used in some string.c functions rather inconsistently
> - should we remove it alltogether
> - introduce a dummy CONST define as hint for the programmer
> - insert more const decls (e.g. string_trans_code doesn't modify its
> src, so ...

I'd prefer more real and explicit use of const, and correcting all const-ness
mistakes, rather than leaving it as a hint to the programmer. It's possible
that compilers will be able to optimise better if they know something is
const.

Also, no-one commented on my suggestion a long time back to remove
-fno-strict-aliasing from gcc's flags. In theory we're stopping some possible
gcc optimisations with this.

Nicholas Clark