At 8:58 PM +0100 11/6/02, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:

I don't have a problem with guaranteeing zeroed memory, but it's not free. If we're going with a malloc-style allocator then I explicitly do *not* want to give guarantees of zeroed memory.

It doesn't make much sense to give Parrot_{re,}alloc different semantics depending on the memory manager and forcing users to memset their (maybe already zeroed) allocated memory.
Nope, you're right.

If we want this, then lets have Parrot_{re,}allocate{,zeroed}.
The allocate_string variants are ok with unzeroed mem already.
Which was my thought here. Things that care can ask for zeroed memory, which they may get anyway. (Or we may keep a big pool of zeroed memory around as it's cheaper to clean large blocks or something)

... Extended buffer headers should be zeroed past the end of the 'known' bits.

Done already, thanks to Peters hint. PMCs were ok.
Cool, thanks.