If memory serves me right, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> A Java bytecode to parrot bytecode translator

        Oh... the horror ... ! ... I wrote the entire JVM loading features
of JILC (now in jilc.sf.net, because the savannah project got removed
from inactivity).. I'm not working on or doing anything similar like the
JILC (more due to being unmentioned on their website, than boredom) .

Having said all that ... It would be good to wait for the Object stuff
to start working before starting with something like this ... I'd think
that having 32 Object registers (or are they going to be special PMCs ?),
and the spillover tactics of imcc can take you there ...

The question here, why would you need it ? ... (other than running Swing).
A real Java compiler is more flexible and a better tool when it comes to
optimized codegeneration ...

Life was too simple when

iload_0
iload_1    became $I0=LOCVAR_I0 + LOCVAR_I1;
iadd

Let's move on a bit before planning this out ... (thankfully mapping 256
opcodes to a sparse set of 4 G opcodes is comparitively easier)...

Gopal