On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:00:37PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> Destinations. These are a pain, since if we can go anywhere then the
> JIT has to do all sorts of nasty and unpleasant things to compensate,
> and to make every op a valid destination. Yuck.

Arbitrary jumps are not that difficult to deal with in the JIT.  The JIT
compiler can handle jumps to arbitrary addresses by falling back into the
interpreter if the destination does not coincide with a previously known entry
point, reentering the JIT code later at a safe point. pbc2c generated code does
this. This way the JIT does not have to support making every instruction a safe
branch destination.

--
Jason