At 02:34 AM 6/19/2003 +0200, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Jonathan Sillito wrote:
(3) One other efficiency thought: I wonder if the interpreter's context
could be changed to a pointer to struct Parrot_Context? This would make
accessing the stacks slightly slower but would of course make restoring the
context very quick. Just a thought ...

I tried this, and there was a distinct slowdown on accessing the regs through the dereference. Dan and I debated this because I had the same idea, but after profiling I proved Dan right. I think it is best optimized to the common case which is register access, not context switches.

-Melvin