Dan Sugalski wrote:

At 4:23 PM -0700 7/15/03, Tupshin Harper wrote:

Piers Cawley wrote:

Targeting Parrot from GCC
Discussion in the thread entitled 'WxWindows Support / Interfacing
Libraries' centred on writing a Parrot backend to GCC. (No, I have no
idea what that has to do with the thread subject.) Tupshin Harper, Leo
Tötsch and Benjamin Goldberg discussed possibilities and potential
pit/pratfalls. At one point, Tupshin suggested emulating a 'more
traditional stack-oriented processor' and I don't think he was joking...

Indeed, I wasn't, but I wish somebody would at least have the decency to tell me how insane this is. ;-)

Oh, sorry.

You're insane. :)

Thank you...I feel much better now.

Traditional processors aren't stack-oriented, not even ones that are more register-starved than the x86 family. (I'm thinking of the 6502 with it's 1.75 registers here)

Yes, I know. The issue is that GCC is practically hard-wired to use C-style stack frames.

The base architecture's fixed, and I'm not inclined to change it at this point.

Absolutely...I was never suggesting implementing anything at the base architecture level. I believe that everything necessary could be implemented in some additional PMCs, and some minor extensions to the pasm format.

-Manically yours
-Tupshin