On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:29:36PM -0700 it came to pass that Damien Neil wrote:

> Do you know of a program that does this (simulated AIO via threads)?
> (Again, I'm not disputing your claim--it's just that this is
> completely contrary to my experience, and I'd like to know more
> about it.)

Lots of Java programs simulate AIO by using threads. Almost all Java IO
mechanisms are blocking and this means that doing interesting work while
the IO is in progress requires some mechanism that involves a separate
thread with a callback routine.

In fact, JMS (the Java Messaging Standard) supports a MessageListener
interface where the JMS system will call you back (the onMessage method)
when a new message has arrived.

++Jos.nl

--
ek is so lug jy vlieg deur my