Yah, I kind of expected that as well the first time I started looking at the array classes, but if you check:

perldoc docs/pmc/array.pod

and search for "out-of-bounds", you'll see it's working as advertised.

If you want an array that grows automatically, PerlArray will do that:

perldoc docs/pmc/perlarray.pod

and search for "non-interesting"

Hope this helps.