On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Sean O'Rourke wrote:

> Michal Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I expected getprop to behave like find_lex
> > and throw an exception if the property doesn't
> > exist, but it doesn't:
>
> Are you sure that properties are what you want to use
> here, rather than attributes (via get_pmc_keyed() or
> similar)?  IIRC parrot's properties are supposed to
> support out-of-band data like Lisp's plists or Perl 6
> properties
> (http://dev.perl.org/perl6/apocalypse/2#properties)

Yes, I think so. I asked about this earlier in
a thread called "in vs on". Python objects have
both __getitem__ (for x[y]) and __getattr__ (for x.y)
Dan agreed that for python, using get_pmc_keyed and getprop
(respecitvely) was the way to go.

Granted, python *classes* wouldn't normally allow __getitem__,
but since you can pass them around like any other object,
I want to treat classes and objects the same way and
handle their differences in the vtable.

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.