> Most objects in Parrot will be dealt with by
> reference, which is to say
> that the PMC that a name is bound to is not an
> object, but rather a
> reference PMC that points to the object PMC. An
> assign, in that case, just
> copies the value in the source reference (which is
> the pointer to the
> referred to object) into the destination reference,
> so it all works out
> OK.

Ah. I see. I was confused because my language uses
the registers themselves as variables, instead of
storing variables in the registers. This would
explain a lot of the 'set-vs-assign' confusion,
too. Where I do a 'set', everyone else does
'assign'.

Not that I don't think that my way of thinking
about these things makes more sense in the general
case ;-), but... that explains a lot. I expect
IMCCs "=" to do a  'set', but everyone else expects
it to 'assign'. But last I checked it sometimes did
one and sometimes another :-P From what you wrote
earlier, it seems like IMCC's "=" operator should
always do 'assign'.

(see my rants here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030822181316.4849.qmail%40web41413.mail.yahoo.com
, and here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030814083616.27613.qmail%40web41415.mail.yahoo.com
, if you're interested in my idea of how registers
and values should be thought about)

> I think I need to put together something
> more detailed on how this works, though.

That would be nice. Maybe while writing it
you'll see the light and introduce a ":="
operator for IMCC ;-)