On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Brent Dax wrote:

> Leopold Toetsch:
> # That's what happening anyway. All unimplemented stuff has a default
> hook
> # throwing an exception.
>
> The indirection would allow for a default set.  It's the difference
> between eight default pointers per vtable (to default sections) and
> eighty default pointers (to default implementations).  If there are a
> lot of PMCs that use several sections of defaults (and this seems to be
> the case), it's a win spacewise.

Each indirection potentially blows the processor pipeline, which costs up
to 15 cycles depending on the processor. It's not normally that bad, more
like 5-7 cycles, but still, it's the equivalent of a fault to main memory.

I'm comfortable burning the memory for now. We can revisit this later if
it turns out to be a real problem, but until then things stay the way they
are.