The Perl 6 summary for the week ending 20031207
    Another week, another late summary. Luckily it's been a quiet week so I
    should get this written faster than usual. As is traditional, we start
    with perl6-internals

  Parrot build system tinkering
    Andy Dougherty and other discussed extending the Parrot build system to
    allow for building parrot itself outside the main source directory
    (useful when Parrot's mounted read only via NFS for example. It's not
    (quite) possible to do this just yet because of a couple of generated
    files in the IMCC tree. Leo suggested only generating those when
    "Configure.pl --maintainer" is run, on the grounds that a maintainer
    shouldn't be building from a read only source. Dan asked for a volunteer
    to fix things up.

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Object stuff
    I (and others I presume) got ready to do the "Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!"
    dance of delight; this was the week that Parrot finally got objects. Or,
    as Dan described them, 'objects-ish'. Parrot now has single inheritance
    objects. They're not the final word on the matter, but it's definitely
    better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

    Dan went on to discuss what needs to be done with them before we're
    ready for Parrot 0.1 (Objects are one of the criteria for making a point
    release).

    Dan then went rather quiet, apparently because he got mugged by flu, or
    something like it, and spent the rest of the week wishing he were dead.

    Meanwhile, Leo lived up to his Patchmonster nickname by checking in a
    bunch of object related stuff.

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    -- Rumblings

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    -- Announcement

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    -- The way forward

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    -- Dan gets mugged by flu

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] --
    Leo's patches

  Raising exceptions
    Cory Spencer wondered about 'proper exception raising' and wondered what
    the state of play was, and if there were any good examples. Leo Tötsch
    pointed him at t/pmc/exception.t

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.LNX.4.58.0312011749290.13872@
    okcomputer.antiflux.org

  Compilation units and the boundaries of IMCC
    Pete Lomax had wondered about package/file local variables in IMCC. At
    the moment IMCC variables can't be file or package scoped, but Melvin
    Smith is working on it. As he said this, he asked for suggestions for
    other potential IMCC features. Cory Spencer wanted to be able to write

       if _some_test() goto LABEL

    but that was vetoed by Dan (and Melvin) as being rather too high level
    for an intermediate language that's meant to be a compiler target.

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  String manipulation
    Melvin Smith put forward a convincing argument that IMCC shouldn't
    concern itself with doing string interpolation as the expected behaviour
    is too 'high level language' dependent, but that Parrot should have a
    "printf"/"sprintf" equivalent, implemented in C for speed. Dan seemed to
    agree and reckoned it should be addressed as soon as objects were out of
    the way.

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  IMCC pending changes
    Melvin Smith posted a list of pending IMCC changes, most of which were
    concerned with tightening up IMCC behaviour (making it both stricter nd
    more forgiving...). Discussion ensued.

    A few days later, Melvin committed some of his changes.

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  PMC Compiler 2nd edition
    Leo applied a 'really long pending patch' which should simplify upcoming
    vtable changes. Melvin wondered if the time had come to replace the
    existing ops2c and pmc2c with the newer versions. Leo thought that
    pmc2c2 was definitely stable enough, but wasn't too sure about ops2c2.
    Jonathan Worthington pointed out a Win32 bug that was quickly fixed.

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  "get_pmc_keyed()" in PerlString
    Sterling Hughes noted that, in PHP it's valid to index a string as if it
    were an array. He wondered it would be possible to implement
    "get_pmc_keyed()" on the PerlString vtable to allow for similar tricks
    with the standard string PMC. I'm confused as to what the decision was.
    I think Leo agreed that it was a good idea, but that it should probably
    be implemented in a new PMC for the time being...

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Symbolic vs. Named variable register allocation
    Pete Lomax stumbled over a bug in IMCC's register allocation. Melvin
    thinks the problem is that much of IMCC's flow analysis code doesn't yet
    know about the Parrot Calling Conventions and went to have a look to see
    if there was a quick fix available.

http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Testing for null
    Jürgen Bömmels is working on having the Parrot IO system's "open" return
    a PMCNULL on failure instead of an invalid IO-Object (sounds like a good
    idea to me). The catch is, there doesn't seem to be any way for the
    bytecode to detect that this has happened. There was some debate about
    whether what Jürgen was doing was the right thing, or if we shouldn't
    introduce a new null.pmc, or some other possibility. The consensus in
    the end seemed to be that using PMCNULL was probably the way to go, but
    an appropriate test operator hadn't been finally decided upon (but
    "if_null" and "unless_null" are the front runners).

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Determining PMC memory addresses
    After last week's kerfuffle about the different types of equality Cory
    Spencer still needed a test for testing if two PMCs had the same address
    so he posted a patch to add an "eq_addr" opcode. Melvin Smith still
    wasn't sure that the name was quite right though and asked for a
    description of why Cory needed it (he needs it for implementing a Lisp
    interpreter).

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Fixing the Makefile dependencies
    Harry the Surnameless has gone through the makefiles in search of the
    broken dependencies that meant that parallel makes didn't work and
    posted a patch. However, he worries that the patch may well introduce
    other problems.

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Meanwhile in perl6-language
    The only game in town was the ongoing discussion of Properties, which
    morphed into a discussion of Larry's tantalizing role based OO
    formulation. People are generally impressed and excited by what Larry
    has so far revealed and, in the continuing absence of Apocalypse 12 are
    speculating like mad. It's fascinating, but it's also next to impossible
    to summarize beyond saying "People talked excitedly about OO".

    Oh yes, if you've not been following, "^op" (ie, the vector operators)
    has become " >>op<< " which is, if nothing else, a right swine to write
    in a POD C<> escape.

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

    http://groups.google.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Acknowledgements, Apologies, Announcements
    Nope, still no link shortening.

    Um... many apologies to Leon Brocard. Last week I stated that he'd
    become the new Pumpking for Perl 5.004 and would not be appearing as a
    running joke in these summaries until he relinquished the pumpkin.
    However, what I should have said is that he has become the new Pumpking
    for Perl 5.005_04 and will not be appearing as a running joke in these
    summaries until he relinquishes said pumpkin.

    Any suggestions that last week's mistake was deliberate so I could
    continue the joke for one more week are utterly without foundation.

    It was just an 'amusing' consequence of my stupidity, obviously.

    If you find these summaries useful or enjoyable, please consider
    contributing to the Perl Foundation to help support the Perl 6 effort. I
    also welcome feedback at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or at my website.

    http://donate.perl-foundation.org/ -- The Perl Foundation

    http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ -- Perl 6 Development site

    http://www.bofh.org.uk:8080/ -- My website, "Just a Summary"