On Jan 4, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Matt Fowles wrote:

Dave Mitchell wrote:

Why on earth would they be all one kernel-level thread?

Truth to tell I got the idea from Ruby. As I said it make syncronization easier, because the interpreter can dictate when threads context switch, allowing them to only switch at safe points. There are some tradeoffs to this though. I had forgotten about threads calling into C code. Although the example of regular expressions doesn't work as I think those are supposed to compile to byte code...

Ah yes, I think you are right about regexes, judging from 'perldoc ops/rx.ops'. I was thinking of a Perl5-style regex engine, in which regex application is a call into compiled code (I believe...).

JEff