Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is entirely a matter of opinion and data design ...

Yep, that's it. The current behavior additionally is inconsistent.
Retrieving a reference (that is Parrot) out of a non-existant hash key
gives and unrelated new PerlUndef, when assigning to that, nothing
happens.

When you get a ref by an existing key, you can happily change data
inside the hash.

I've refered to the subject of the former thread, there are examples.

So what will/should Parrot provide, to solve that?

IMHO we are additionally lacking vtable methods to achieve the HLL value
assign behavior: We only have references inside our aggregates. That
doesn't matter per se, you can always clone the PMCs before storing, or
you store only newly created PMCs, that's ok, but in the case of
retrieving a reference or a value from an hash with an unexisting key,
it would matter, the one does autovifiy the latter doesn't.

leo