On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Michal Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What exactly is the difference between an
> > attribute and a property?
>
> $ perldoc docs/pdds/pdd15_objects.pod
> /TRANSLATION AND GLOSSARY

Thanks. Don't mind me. I'm going to go make
a card that says "RTFM" on my monitor here... :)

So let me see if I have this right. Attributes
are slots in a class, that get created on each
instance. Properties don't have predefined slots,
you can just attach whatever you want to any PMC.

So: a language like java would probably use
attributes, because the shape of the class is
defined before hand, whereas python would tend
to use properties... Right?

But when I actually go to fill in the slots,
I still use getprop/setprop for both types,
right? So if I setprop on an attribute-based-class
it would fill in the attribute first, and then
if the attribute slot isn't there, do something
else (like throw an exception or just make a property?)

I guess what I'm asking is: is getprop/setprop
a universal interface, or will we need some kind
of logic to know whether a particular object
uses attributes instead?

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.