Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 10:09 PM +0100 1/12/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> I think I'd as soon leave COW-marked buffers as COW forever, or until
> they're garbage collected.

I'm thinking of that:
1) "main" creates and calls "sub1" which returns
   - sub1 doesn't mess with the Buffer (PObj, stack)
2) main changes that Buffer
   - currently that would provoke an unneeded unamke_COW - copy the
     Buffer.

"The stack" is any one of register frames, user, lexicals, and control
for continations. Then we have currently the warnings Buffer for all
subs.

> are either going to be unreferenced

The problem is the calling context IMHO. And DOD isn't run that often as
main might call new subs.

> Since this is going to be invisible to user code, we can leave it as
> is for now and revisit the entire scheme in its entirety later if we
> want to do an optimizing run across the source.

That's true. But while at that again, it may be worth some more
thoughts.

> --
>                                          Dan

> Dan Sugalski                          even samurai
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         have teddy bears and even
>                                        teddy bears get drunk

leo