Maybe we can use someone else's solution...

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2003-November/ 016731.html

On 16 Jan 2004, at 00:33, Jonathan Worthington wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sugalski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 8:09 PM
Subject: Unicode, internationalization, C++, and ICU

Now, assuming there's still anyone left reading this message...

We've been threatening to build ICU into parrot, and it's time for
that to start happening. Unfortunately there's a problem--it doesn't
work right now. So, what we need is some brave soul to track ICU
development and keep us reasonably up to date. What I'd really like
is:

1) ICU building and working
2) ICU not needing any C++

I've done some testing, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I
believe we have something of a problem. :-( The configure script turns out
to be a shell script which, unless I'm mistaken, means we're currently
unable to build ICU anywhere we don't have bash or similar. Win32 for
starters, which is where I'm testing. A possible solution might be to
re-write the configure script in Perl - though we'd have to keep it
maintained as we do ICU updates. Another one, for Win32 at least, is that
we *might* be able to use UNIX Services For Win32 and run configure under
that, generate a Win32 makefile and just copy it in place with the configure
script. Less portable to other places with the same problem, though, and
again we have to maintain it as we update ICU.

There is also a problem with the configure stage on Win32, but that's an
aside until the above issue is sorted out.

I also gave it a spin in cygwin, where the configure script for ICU runs
"OK", but there's no C++ compiler so it doesn't get built.

Thoughts?

Jonathan