At 6:49 PM +0100 1/20/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 5:48 PM +0100 1/20/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
1) PMC initialization (new_p_ic_p): The shared PMC needs
additionally the allocation of the synchronize structure and the
MUTEX_INIT.

 This is a one-time cost. If a PMC has one, it should stick around
 after the PMC is destroyed and put on the free list.

Ah yep. Good idea.

I'll admit, I'm tempted to make it part of the arena initialization cost -- when a new PMC arena is allocated because we're out of headers we just unconditionally give 'em all sync structs if we're running threaded.

The only worry there is resource exhaustion. Rumor has it that some systems have a limited number of mutexes, but I've never actually seen one of them.