I'm pretty sure this is escaping from PIR's point of view - it started life as a method for _dumper() to dump strings that you could then copy back into PIR and have them work. (though it looks like Jens has made it far more functional since then.)

Presumably individual languages will have their own routines - I would expect anything in library that isn't in a language-specific directory to be PIR/PASM specific.

I agree about the namespace issues though. definitely something to keep an eye on.

Wasn't there talk about Class names in parrot being prefixed by their language? (in which case we've each got our own namespace to pollute)

On Thursday, April 8, 2004, at 05:49 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:28:49PM +0200, Jens Rieks wrote:

Data::Replace replaces every occurrence of one PMC in a nested data structure
with another PMC.

I'm not sure what that means, but Data::Replace seems too vague. What is it?

Data::Escape contains a function "String" that escapes the string.

Wouldn't escape_string be better?

(And I wonder how different languages escape strings,
and if there's a common subset that'll work for all/most of them.)

Tim [wearing a tired old namespace police hat]

--
Will "Coke" Coleda will at coleda dot com