Hi,

I am writing a PerlPair PMC and I have a problem with an
optimization. BTW: probably a modified PerlPair could be used
to implement lisp cons pairs and the optimization will be even
more useful because of the widespread use of pairs.

The optimization: I want to avoid storing a key or or value as a
PMC but I must know when I am obliged to promote it to a pmc. I
am obliged to do it when someone takes a reference to it.

The problem is when someone accesses the key or value as a pmc
using a get_pmc_keyed_*, I can't know if it is simply to later
clone it or if it is to keep a reference to it.

Is this a real shortcoming of the PMC API or am I overlooking
something?

--
 stef