On Apr 10, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Jeff Clites wrote:

On Apr 10, 2004, at 3:54 AM, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

Ok. I want to uppercase the strings - no sorting (yet). I've an array of
Vienna's Kebab boothes. Half of these have turkish names (at least) the
rest is a mixture of other languages. I'd like to uppercase this array
of names. How do I do it?
If you are having signs painted for the vendors, and you want the names all in uppercase (for style) but you want to make sure that the you are uppercasing a name in an appropriate way for that vendor's national origin, then on a per-string basis you need to decide on a locale.

Darn, forgot something else I meant to say:

On the other hand, it might not make sense to case-map with national origin of the vendor in mine: If you had kebab (or pretzel?) vendors with booths in the US, some of whom are German, you might _not_ want to case map with national origin in mind, because if you used the German "beta" variant for "ss" then you'd confuse the American customers. So you'd have a real decision to make--do you localize based on the nationality of the vendor, or based on the nationality of the customers. Either choice is reasonable, and your API needs to handle both--case map all of the strings using the same locale, or case map each in a different locale. It depends on what you want to do with your signs, not on the contents of the strings.

And now I'm hungry.

JEff