Matt Fowles wrote:

> Dan~
>
> I know that you are not technically required to defend your position,
> but I would like an explanation of one part of this plan.
>
> Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
>>4) We will *not* use ICU for core functions. (string to number or number
>>to string conversions, for example)
>

> Why not?  It seems like we would just be reinventing a rather large
> wheel here.

Without having looked at what ICU supplies in this department I would
guess it's simply because of the overhead.  atoi() is probably quite a
bit faster than pulling in the full support for TIBETAN HALF THREE.

(Though to be honest I think Parrot shouldn't trust on atoi() or any
of those guys: Perl 5 has tought us not to put trust too much on them.
Perl 5 these days parses all the integer formats itself.)