On May 14, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Dan Sugalski wrote:

Today's project is to get all the MMD things actually using MMD. I've put in the first wave of changes (well, OK, second if you consider Leo's BXOR test as the first) and should get the rest of the stuff in today.

This part's a bit hackish but, well, there you go. It does break some of the object tests, since they don't yet participate in MMD the way they ought, but that should happen later on.

It would be great to have a quick paragraph-or-two about the design/API/goals. I know what MMD is in general, but I got lost in figuring out whether this MMD is supposed to be the back-end for Perl6's multi's (I think it isn't), how it relates to PMCs and their VTABLE's, the high-level view of how it's implemented, why it's faster (than what?), what "types" we are dispatching on (I v. N v. S v. P, or PMC types, or Object types), how type fallbacking is done, what you have to put in a .pmc file (?) to create an MMD entry, etc.

Maybe that would be more than a paragraph, but a quick paragraph would let me ask better questions. (And I saw docs/mmd.pod, but I'm looking for a higher-level overview.)

Thanks,

JEff