On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:47, Butler, Gerald wrote:
> If I may interject for a moment:

Let me start by saying that I have not drunk the Unicode cool-aid. I'm
not at all certain that the overhead required to do all of what Parrot
wants to do is warranted, BUT that's beside the point.

Parrot is doing things the way it's doing them, and the time for debate
was a few months or at latest weeks ago, as far as I can tell.

> I have been following the discussion of strings on this list over the last few
> weeks. It seems that there is somewhat of a disconnect in various definitions
> of what is a "string". It seems as though there needs to be a hierarchy to
> this with a little more clear definition. May I humbly propose the following:
>
>       1. String - low-level, abstract, base class (or in Perl6 terms role --
> I think) which represents a "logically" contiguous series of Parrot Int

You say that you think there should be a hierarchy, but you're just
throwing out broad concepts and applying them equally to terminology,
representation and implementation. As such, there is no good way to
respond to what you suggest, nor any way to determine how much work you
are proposing be performed in order to bend existing code to your
suggested paradigm.

A string is what Dan described in his various postings on strings. Nuff
said.

Aside from the rest of your message, and bearing no logical impact on
the rest of it, I'd like to call out:

Need I point out http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>