At 8:30 PM +0100 5/25/04, Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:26:45PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 Yup. UTF8 is Just another variable-width encoding. Do anything with
 it and we convert it to a fixed-width encoding, in this case UTF32.

Does this mean that we won't be verifying the validity of UTF8 on input? And instead pitching exceptions at conversion time?

No. We verify validity of strings whenever they're created or shift formats, so in this case when we go from binary->utf8 on input we'll do the validation and pitch a fit if there's a problem.