On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, greg strockbine wrote:

> my company would just love to embed
> the interpreter part of parrot into it's
> product (mtx603) that runs vxWorks.

Woohoo! That'd be cool.

> I'm trying to figure out if this is doable.
> I google'd the perl6-internals list but
> there's nary a mention of vxWorks.

Mainly because nobody on-list's got any experience with it. :) At least
not that I'm aware of.

> a 'grep fork *.c' in the parrot source code
> shows fork to occur only in platform.c.
> Although malloc-trace.c does some checking
> of pid's which could indicate forking.

The only place Parrot forks is in the fork op which, as you've noted, is
in the platform-specific code. (Since Windows, amongst other OSes, doesn't
fork) You'd need to build up the right config.h and platform.[ch] files
for vxWorks, but that shouldn't be a huge problem.

I'll warn you that we're not really set up for cross-compilation. OTOH,
I'd *love* it if we were, so it might take a bit of work but I think it'd
be doable.

> I haven't quite figured out how to get the
> interpreter to be standalone, I'm assuming it's
> possible though - right?

Depends on what you mean by standalone, I suppose. (Not that we shouldn't
be able to regardless of the definition. More a question of whether we can
right now or not)