At 7:37 PM +1000 8/10/04, Adam Richardson wrote:
I'm not sure how you plan to integrate the database level (or whether it
affects what you are doing at all), but presumably you know all about the
new encoding and collation sets in mySQL 4.1. Things have changed quite a
bit there from 4.0, and I've seen a few issues with various middleware
handling those changes.

I can't remember if I replied to this, or what happened to it, what with the perl.org list machine dying a horrible death and all. So, risking redundancy...

The plan for database level integration is to make the C-level API sufficiently rich as to allow extensions to specify the encoding/charsets of the strings they create, as well as to transform strings into encodings/charsets they like better.

Which does remind me that we ought to make the NCI interface a bit richer so we can specify this in the signatures as well. That'd be useful.